Alpaca Experience Morning from £40
So much more than alpaca walking! Ideal for all those who love alpacas and want to know more about them. A great idea for a Birthday or Christmas present, perhaps a Mothers Day treat. Join Karen as she goes about her morning activities with the alpacas. Feeding and haying up, watering and general health checks around the farm. Depending on the time of year this may include caring for the females with their cria, perhaps seeing a birth and all that that entails, or joining in with a weekly husbandry task, such as weighing or condition scoring - get your hands on as much as you would like! Maybe halter training the weanlings and getting them used to handling ready for the shows, and you may get to take an alpaca for a walk through the woods on the farm if you wish. You need to wear appropriate clothes and boots. The visit will usually last for 2 hours and start around 10.00 am. Tea or coffee with biscuits included. Discounts for two or more people, children over 7 years old welcome.
Private Beginners Course Half Day £60 or Full Day £100
BAS Affiliate Trainers
Covering all aspects of alpaca ownership, ideal for those thinking about keeping alpacas and new owners alike. An excellent mix of practical and theory. Please contact Karen to book your place - course tailored to your requirements.
- How to look after alpacas day to day and routine husbandry required to keep them healthy. Correct and stress-free handling, condition scoring, weighing, vaccinations, worming, toenail trimming, teeth care, nutrition and feeding, showing and transport, shearing, biosecurity, breeding. Learning takes place in the lecture room and on our farm with the alpacas, with hands-on demonstrations and plenty of opportunities for handling the alpacas.
- Financial considerations whether keeping a couple as field pets or when starting up an alpaca business.
- Handling systems - a look around Meon Valley Alpacas to see how we manage our herd, discussing fencing, catch areas, shelters, field maintenance, farm set-up and equipment etc.
- Fleece and conformation - what to look for when buying an alpaca. Alpaca assessments- a practical session with hands-on look and feel of the differences in conformation and fleece.
- The full day course covers breeding, caring for breeding stock, the birth and neonatal care.
- Viewing of Meon Valley Sale alpacas, pets and breeding stock.
Group Visits for Children
We welcome visits from schools and colleges, all ages welcome. The visit usually takes around an hour and we can provide refreshments. The Quechua Benefit is our chosen charity and ask that each visitor make a £2 - £5 donation which we collect and send off once a year. Please contact us to arrange a visit.